Awhile back, I was watching a youtube video by Aaron Draplin, where he advised us to create our own set of symbols so we could save time when we’re designing a new logo.
So I begin to do exactly that, but I got distracted and never finished. Which meant of course, that whenever I got around to designing logos, I often had to recreate every single basic geometric symbol from scratch as I needed them.
When today’s daily logo challenge prompt came out, I knew that a good start would be to create basic geometric shapes, and then to use those to create configurations that seemed to be viable. That’s when I remembered I’v already done this.
So I pulled up the basic symbol set I had designed previously (the first row of the process work below), and used that to start designing a logo.
The final design was a tad bit more complicated than I had intended, but it looked good, doesn’t it?
♪ Bob the Barber
Can we fix it?
Bob the Barber
Yes, we can! ♫
Okay yeah, that shear look like it was made for shearing cotton or for flaying #Bolton prisoners. Probably should have gone with a design that looked like it was for cutting hair.
Yeah I could redesign this. But why would I? This is the Daily Logo Challenge— a learning exercise. I got it done, I take my losts, I move on to the next project. At this point redoing it would require deleting stuff from my Instagram account and I just don’t feel like that doing that. The doing is more important than micromanaging social media channels— this is an important principle I have picked up in order to encourage more productivity from myself.
So, onto the next thing. Besides, it was no lost, I have documented the process, my rationale and my failings— now we all know and can learn from it.
But hey, just pretend it was for a medieval barbershop— rip off your teeth and all that 🙂
Day 12 of the Daily Logo Challenge, “Airlines”.
Now, I was really excited for the release of Godzilla King of the Monsters….so, I think it was no surprise that a significant portion of my starting designs here looked like dragon wings (King Ghidorah, baby!). I tried to pull it back and focus on something that clearly communicates air travel (in a way that wouldn’t scare away customers).
The final design still looked draconic, what can I say?
Once again, you can follow my daily logo design progress on my instagram account @justonky.
Process work for the first 11 days of my Daily Logo Challenge. For those curious, Harris Robert’s Daily Logo Challenge are email prompts you can subscribe to that is automatically sent to your inbox everyday for 50 days straight. Those prompts inspire you to create logos, push boundaries, and improve yourself— and I have found this practice invaluable. I’ve been out of practice since graduating college, and can already see tremendous improvements in my logo design process.
Here are the process work for the first 11 days, I make it a point to show my work whenever possible so people can learn from it.
I’ll upload the completed logos for those 11 days in another post.
You can follow my progress day by day on My Instagram, @justonky.
So I’ve been doodling up some ideas for a new logo. Hopefully something will come of it.
Actually, I’ve already started on some vector thumbnails. Still unsure if I need one per se, but it would make for a fun branding project.