Many things happened that I had to deal with, predominantly of a logistical and financial nature, as well as attempts to secure a new job— and poof!— a week has flown by. I could try and catch up or I could focus on other projects and continue to refine my skills.
So I chose the latter.
Next time…I’ll give this challenge another go.
Also, I need to start doing something about the fine arts I am doing, but not sharing. A new instagram page just for the arts, perhaps? As usual, everything will be consolidated back here on this blog and on my portfolio.
Awhile back, I was watching a youtube video by Aaron Draplin, where he advised us to create our own set of symbols so we could save time when we’re designing a new logo.
So I begin to do exactly that, but I got distracted and never finished. Which meant of course, that whenever I got around to designing logos, I often had to recreate every single basic geometric symbol from scratch as I needed them.
When today’s daily logo challenge prompt came out, I knew that a good start would be to create basic geometric shapes, and then to use those to create configurations that seemed to be viable. That’s when I remembered I’v already done this.
So I pulled up the basic symbol set I had designed previously (the first row of the process work below), and used that to start designing a logo.
The final design was a tad bit more complicated than I had intended, but it looked good, doesn’t it?
Alright, so I missed a day of the Daily Logo Challenge (and a day of Blogging as well). That wasn’t especially a big problem because these internet art challenges, like Inktober or Inkpril, do allow for people to “make up” for days missed.
There’s no hard rules, but people generally try to make up for lost days as soon as possible.
So I did that, but I went about it in what was probably the most lazy way possible (well, not the most lazy way possible, there are certainly lazier ways, but I haven’t fallen that deeply into the dark-side just yet).
I actually took a Logo I’ve already been working on a week ago and used that. See, I was designing a new logo for my own personal brand (the Justin C. Hsu or Justonky brand—it’s just me, though. The me brand).
For years now, I’ve been using the familiar Brain Logo:
But I felt it was time for something new, and had been sketching some ideas in my sketchbook, and even went ahead and designed several variants in Illustrator.
When it came time to make up for Day 15, I felt pretty tired about it as I had to make the Day 16 Logo on the same day as well. I was also exhausted that day for other reasons.
With midnight fast approaching, I decided to just post my new logo as Day 15— after all, I worked on it, didn’t I? I put in the effort, and it even had some hand lettering involved in it’s design process, exactly what the prompted called for!
♪ Bob the Barber Can we fix it? Bob the Barber Yes, we can! ♫
Okay yeah, that shear look like it was made for shearing cotton or for flaying #Bolton prisoners. Probably should have gone with a design that looked like it was for cutting hair.
Yeah I could redesign this. But why would I? This is the Daily Logo Challenge— a learning exercise. I got it done, I take my losts, I move on to the next project. At this point redoing it would require deleting stuff from my Instagram account and I just don’t feel like that doing that. The doing is more important than micromanaging social media channels— this is an important principle I have picked up in order to encourage more productivity from myself.
So, onto the next thing. Besides, it was no lost, I have documented the process, my rationale and my failings— now we all know and can learn from it.
But hey, just pretend it was for a medieval barbershop— rip off your teeth and all that 🙂
Process work for the first 11 days of my Daily Logo Challenge. For those curious, Harris Robert’s Daily Logo Challenge are email prompts you can subscribe to that is automatically sent to your inbox everyday for 50 days straight. Those prompts inspire you to create logos, push boundaries, and improve yourself— and I have found this practice invaluable. I’ve been out of practice since graduating college, and can already see tremendous improvements in my logo design process.
Here are the process work for the first 11 days, I make it a point to show my work whenever possible so people can learn from it.
I’ll upload the completed logos for those 11 days in another post.
You can follow my progress day by day on My Instagram, @justonky.